Errors on report.js

I recently ran into an issue when compiling my html friendly cucumber reports. For larger tests run, when attempting to view the reports generated in the cucumber-html-report, the screen appeared blank. After some debugging, I noticed that the reports.js file generated was abruptly terminated. The true cause of the issue is still unknown; my best guess is it was a sizing limitation due to memory utilization, or possibly something else.


Upon some more Google searching, I noticed that the version of cucumber-html.jar I was not the latest. I upgraded my jar from 0.2.2 to 0.2.3, hoping this might resolve my error. Unfortunately, this caused all of my tests to stop working, as there were some interdependencies. In addition to that one jar being upgraded, the below files were also upgraded to the specified version.

  • gherkin-2.12.1
  • cucumber-junit-1.1.5
  • cucumber-java-1.1.5
  • cucumber-core-1.1.5

Additionally, the jar cucumber-jvm-deps needs to be added. I used version 1.0.3. Finally, I had to update my cucumber runner which kicked off all of my tests. The ‘json-pretty’ format is no longer supported, and needs to be removed. The @Cucumber.Options is deprecated, and can be replaced with @CucumberOptions.


import cucumber.api.CucumberOptions;
import cucumber.api.junit.Cucumber;
import org.junit.runner.RunWith;

	features = {"src/comix/cosmic/features/CheckTitles.feature"},
		glue = {"comix.cosmic.definitions"},
		format = {"pretty",
		tags = {"@Smoke"}

public class CucumberTestRunner {

After all of these changes my test runs returned to normal, and the output files were generated as expected. As my tests continue to grow, I will continue to monitor this issue, and hopefully the issue will remain resolved.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *